Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Week 2 Reading Diary: PDE Ramayana continued

PDE: Ramayana by various authors

After reading the next twenty sections of the public domain edition of the Ramayana, I became very interested in reading on. The storyline is so interesting and the writing is so rich in details. The first few sections in Part B really showed how much of a devoted younger brother Bharata is to Rama. I loved the dramatic scenes when Bharata was angry with his mother, Kaikeyi, for basically forcing him into reigning. My favorite quote was when Bharata said, "I have lost my father and my elder brother. Of what good is a kingdom unto me now?" This truly shows Bharata's devotion to his family, especially Rama. 


(Bharata sets out to find Rama. Source: Wikimedia Commons)

If I were to tell a story based on this section, Bharata Returns, I would definitely switch up the role that Kaikeyi plays in Bharata getting the throne. Instead of her being seen as evil and selfish, I could maybe describe her character in a positive light. I would make it where Bharata was not upset with his mother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment